Grace Church - Plettenberg Bay is a church plant that is focused on God-centred worship and service. Although we meet every Sunday for corporate worship, we recognised that the church is not defined by the place or day we meet. The local church is a body of believers who are actively involved in worship and fellowship, with one another. This worship and fellowship extends outside of the Sunday gathering and is evidenced in everyday life.
We also recognise that the church is Christ's church, which is His body and bride, and that He is head of His church. With this truth in mind, we seek to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ in all aspects of ministry within Grace Church.
We gather together every Sunday at 10AM to study God's Word and other aspects of theology.
We meet at The Parish Hall, located on Church Street, Plettenberg Bay.
God has blessed us with a building that has a number of smaller rooms beneath the main hall. During the Sunday meeting, we have allocated a space for parents to mind their children. As the church grows, we look forward to providing Sunday School classes for small children.
Our Mission Statement
Our mission is to exemplify what it means to be the church as defined in Scripture. Our focus is firstly upward (God centred) and, second, outward (serving our neighbours). We gather to worship God and to serve His people. We scatter (go out into the world) to love and serve our neighbours, who are made in His image.
The ten core values that are foundational to Grace Church:
- We value God’s Word, the Bible, as solely authoritative and sufficient in all matters of belief and behaviour for every believer’s enjoyment of God and for the ministry of the church.(Ps 1:1–3; 2 Tim 3:16–17; 1 Pet 2:2; 2 Pet 1:2–4).
- We value personal and corporate prayer as the engine of all our efforts in ministry and worship (Acts 2:42; Eph 6:18–20; Phil 4:6; Col 4:2; 1 Thess 5:16–18), fully relying on the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 2:14–16; Zech 4:6; Eph 3:16; 1 Pet 4:10–11).
- We value personal and corporate worship of God, which engages both the mind and the heart (John 4:23–24; Jas 4:8; Ps 16:11; 2 Tim 4:1–4).
- We value Christ-centred relationships, especially through the regular gathering of small groups focused on God’s Word, prayer, and mutual love (John 13:34; Eph 5:1–2; 1 Thess 5:11; Heb 10:23–25; Jas 5:16).
- We value faithful husbands, wives, and children fulfilling their biblical roles in the family and in the church (Deut 6:4-9; Ps 78:1–9; Eph 6:4; 2 Tim 3:14–15).
- We value every faithful believer serving in the body of Christ (Rom 12:9–13; 1 Pet 4:11–12; 1 Cor 12:7; Eph 4:11–13).
- We value corporate growth in biblical knowledge, character, and actions that imitate Christ (Eph 4:12; Col 1:28).
- We value reaching the lost in our communities and throughout the world (Matt 28:19–20; Acts 1:8; Rom 10:1; Col 4:2–4).
- We value the submission to Christ’s leadership, which is carried out by a biblically qualified team of elders (Acts 20:28; 1 Tim 3:1–7; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Pet 5:1–3; Heb 13:17).
- We value equipping leaders in the context of the local church (Eph 4:11–12; 1 Tim 5:17).
Elder/Pastor: Yorke Hinds
Yorke grew up in Durban, South Africa and after completing military service in 1989, left his homeland to see the world. In 1994 he arrived in Sydney, Australia, where he met Angel and spent the next 21 years.
It was in 2005 that God extended His saving grace to Yorke and Angel and redeemed two wayward sinners through the atoning sacrifice of His Son, Jesus Christ.
In 2015 Yorke and Angel left Sydney to attend The Master's Seminary in LA. While studying at the seminary, Yorke and Angel served at Grace Community Church and were blessed to sit under the teaching of Dr. John MacArthur.
Yorke completed his pastoral studies in 2019 and they returned to Plettenberg Bay. This was the start of God's work in planting Grace Church to serve His people.
Yorke is passionate about the church, theology and the application of God's Word in the life of the believer. Yorke is a certified Biblical Counselor with the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors.
While this is a church plant, the pastor of Grace Church understands that plural eldership is the biblical ideal. However, this ministry has only one elder (currently) and will slowly move towards a plurality of elders, if and when the Lord provides qualified men to fill that position.
For this reason, during the early years of single eldership, Grace Church has partnered with like-minded churches in South Africa for accountability.